Saturday, May 5, 2007

Egypt: Bee-Ware of Birthdays - Wed Stamper Challenge




I'm not a big fan of the Egyptian style, but I wanted to play in this one, so here is my first entry: a birthday card.

I wanted to use a bee if it had anything to do with Egypt. Here's what I learned: Egyptian hieroglyph's featuring bees were found in a temple built in Cairo in 24,000 B.C. The Egyptians not only used honey as a sweetener but also in embalming, for money, and as an offering to their gods. The bee continued to be important throughout Egyptian history: the pharaoh of Lower Egypt during the First Dynasty (3,200 B.C.) used the bee as his emblem.

The background is a free hieroglyphics font that says "Beware of Birthdays." Then I used blue and green ink pads to color the background and aged it with walnut ink. The bee is stamped on a rough weave of material. The other is the inside which says "They Make You Old." It also is colored but didn't show up well in the scan.

2 comments:

Dymphie said...

Another beautiful card, love the bee theme :-)

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Great thinking behind this! Love it.